Tuesday, September 24, 2013


Over the past two classes we have discussed a strategy called Talking Drawing. A talking drawing is a drawing you draw before you read a section in a book or an article and after. In Wonder  August is really into Star Wars, and I know pretty much nothing about Star Wars. My before drawing reflects on what I knew about Star Wars at the time; Luke, Laya, light sabers, a robot thing, and a Wookie?. See I still don't know.
In Wonder it was Halloween time and the students were aloud to dress up for school. August's favorite holiday was Halloween, so he could put on a mask and hide his face from the world :(. He felt comfortable on Halloween because no one knew who he was and no one could judge his looks.
Throughout the chapter there were so many reference to Star Wars, I cant even think of them all. In class we read about 5-7 chapters that included a lot of different characters. Once we were done reading the chapters our professor asked us to draw an after picture to show what we have learned from reading those chapters. To be honest I didn't learn much more except a couple more character; the Clone Troopers and Darth Sidious. Not sure what role they played but they were in it!
The talking drawing gives you different ways to look at one thing. Before reading an article you have a pre- notion on what you are about to read. But then when you read it your thoughts may have changed or you might have learned more! Talking drawing really help to see your process in learning.


P.S. Please don't mind my drawing. I can assure you I am not an artist.  

No comments:

Post a Comment